At a workshop in December 2010, the Montana Bird Conservation Partnership identified focal species for short-term conservation action. We identified first steps for a few focal species:
- Develop a Long-billed Curlew initiative to influence grassland conservation
- Coordinate with NRCS Sage Grouse Initiative to enhance habitats for other sagebrush obligate birds, including Brewer’s Sparrows and Sage Thrashers
- Assess conservation design options for Black Terns
- Explore Citizen Science monitoring options for Flammulated Owls and Short-eared Owls
- Feature conservation success stories, such as Trumpeter Swan reintroduction, on web pages and in newsletters.
- Evaluate success of conservation easements